Friday, December 23, 2011

My toasted walnuts..

My toasted walnuts were a success!  Not exactly the texture I was going for, but they were very tasty with the spinach salad topped with blue cheese crumbles, Craisins.  When I made the candied walnuts, i first toasted them for approximately 5 minutes at 450 degrees in my mini oven.  While doing so I started to heat white sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon in a sauce pan.  A few minutes into the process I discovered that brown sugar has a higher melting point so I was likely to burn the white sugar before the brown sugar even started to melt so I added some corn syrup because I saw it in another recipe.  It immediately melted so I added the toasted nuts to coat.  I was sure to separate them quickly after coating so they didn't stick together.
 
  Next time I try this I will put the brown sugar in first, melt, and THEN add the white sugar.  I used 1 cup sugar total.  No, I didn't measure the vanilla or cinnamon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment