Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas 2011

Christmas was so different this year. No family. A new friend, Anya, came over for a bit. And Morgan, the animal whisperer, stopped by to say "Merry Christmas". Jacob had to work at 4 so by 3:30 the children and I were all alone.

I managed to finish a very nice meal in time for Jacob to enjoy it; however he wasn't really hungry. His work changed his schedule 3 times this week, so it was hard to plan our meal, especially since we only have a mini oven and a two burner stove. I roasted turkey breast with gravy, made eggplant parmesan, a green bean dish, Italian salad, and cheesy chicken and green chili dip. I stuffed dates with cream cheese and Jacob helped me stuff peppers with anchovies( I know it sounds gross to many, but you just have to try it. I like them with cheese). We were intending on having others join us for dinner, but it didn't pan out.

After our early dinner, I enjoyed a cup of eggnog. So creamy and delicious with cinnamon and nutmeg. I was lucky to get this winter treat on sale for 5.99CI. All things on this island are more expensive than in the states. Because of this I feel very frugal, like I'm not to buy anything but the necessities. It's an icky uncomfortable feeling to have to penny pinch. We have always been very blessed financially, never having to go to stores with a calculator to stay within our budget. We never really had to budget and I am feeling like I must now. Oops I went off on a tangent...anyways to finish my tangent the Lord is providing for us perfectly, it's only because I pay some ridiculous prices for things that I feel this way. I think anyone would feel the same if they had to pay over $5.00 for a package of oreos.

Back to Christmas...I really wanted I start today off with church, but we haven't found a church we really love yet and...is that really acceptable??? So I don't feel like we celebrate Christ's birth at all. I wasn't excited for Christmas at all. I felt like scrooge. Bahumbug, eeewwww!

My two little j's and myself didn't have any plans for the evening so I coaxed them outside. I wasn't convincing enough to have them snorkel, so I had to do it alone.
Lately, it seem like my children and I are moving in two different directions. They are like little hermits that want to be indoors playing video games and watching TV and complain when they have to go outside. And If they are not complaining they look miserable. I think my children have been away from me too long at a very crucial time and I am not sure we'll ever be on the same page.
While I was snorkeling I saw a few fish. I'll post some pictures as soon as I remember my underwater camera and I can get some good shots. I also freaked myself out because we watched Jaws the other day. There was a guy snorkeling at the same time and he got to see a small sea turtle! If I wouldn't have gotten scared I would have seen it to:( I'm a little bummed. That stupid movie; I dot think I will ever watch it again. I am pretty sure it's the reason why I have always been afraid of the ocean.

We got to see a beautiful sunset. The sun looked gigantic and was bright pink. The clouds didnt illuminate much but it was still cool. Afterwards we retreated to our little hotel-room style home and veged out playing games. And then I wrote this post, haha.

I am very thankful Chritmas is over. I hope next year is better. If anyone has any advice for me with my children please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment