Monday, December 19, 2011

Driving on the Left

Jacob and I rented a car today.  We decided to rent it because tomorrow Jacob has errands to run that will require a $30 taxi instead of a $2 bus fair.  The rental car will be about $40, but we get it for 24 hours.  It's really small, bright yellow and the steering wheel is on the right!  This was my 1st time driving on the left hand side of the road in a car with the driver seat on the right; it was crazy!  The turn signals are also on the right.  Both Jacob and I kept turning on the windshield washers instead of our turn signals.  It was strange to have to actually think about how to drive.  Having the steering wheel on the opposite side was the hardest part.  The depth perception on my left feels very unnatural so making turns and staying in the lines was weird.

I remember when I first got my driver's license I was so excited!  I have always enjoyed the peacefulness of the road, but traffic gets old after a while and then the joy of driving seems to fade.  It became more of a chore than a blessing.  I had so much fun driving today!  Now that I have been taking the bus or walking I can see that driving is a privilege.  However, it is a blessing that causes us to be impatient and lazy.  We have been looking for a vehicle, but I almost don't want one because I fear laziness in my children.  I pray that when we do get a car we will continue to appreciate our legs.  Thank you Lord for giving us 2 strong legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment