Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas...

Why do we have Christmas trees, stockings, decorations, and feel forced to give gifts to everyone we know?  Over the last few years the enjoyment of the "typical" Christmas celebrations have lost their glamour.  I find that I am a big scrooge and stressed out about buying gifts for people.  I want to give gifts that the receiver will love and use, but when people are so blessed why and what do you give.   Why do my children need to be showered with toys and things that they may never use and why oh why does Santa exist?  My daughter of course,  knows mommy and daddy are the gift givers, but my son is adamant that Santa is the one that gives the gifts.  I tried to tell him last year that Santa wasn't real but he wouldn't believe and this year I allowed him to keep believing his beliefs.  As Christmas has come and gone I think I should have told him who fills his stocking.

It's a bit of a challenge to step out and go against what the norm is, but as I read this blog post by Anne Elliott I began to think...is it really that hard?  They took down their Christmas tree before Christmas!  I love the idea, but at the same time, it's been a tradition and for so many years I looked forward to it.  I don't look forward to it anymore.  Will my husband or children miss it if we start a new tradition?  Or will they embrace the new.  I think it's time for a change.  I read in Keeping Life Simple by Karen Levine that if you no longer enjoy a tradition STOP DOING IT!  Pretty simple.

I am not sure what Christmas will be like next year, but I am going to take this to prayer and allow the Holy Spirit to lead my heart.  He has obviously been trying to get my attention in this matter and I am finally starting to see.

What does this mean for all the other pagan holidays we celebrate??

No comments:

Post a Comment