Monday, December 19, 2011

Bickering Siblings

My sweet young children have been in many disagreements lately and it is truly disrupting the peace of our home.  I have just started reading Creative Correction by Lisa Whelchel and have found some pretty neat ideas for correcting this problem and scriptures to reference.  It's written very well and easy to pick up and browse for ideas whenever you run out.  I have tried a few of the suggestions for diffusing arguments and some have worked better than others.  Each child and scenario is different so you have to see which one works for you and your family.  A couple times I have asked my children in the midst of an argument to stand toe-to-toe facing each other.  The first time they did it their anger turned into giggles, but the next time they started wrestling...I  usually separate them when it gets out of control and then talk to them about what happened, but I don't think being the mediator is the answer.  They have to learn to respect each other, control their emotions and solve these issues on their own.  With my prayers and patience I shall eventually see the little seeds I am planting grow.

Every stage in raising children has it's own challenges and the first glimpse that your efforts are working is soooo awesome!  It will be nice to have Joie and Jayden getting along better, but I understand that they are both going through a stage of growth and finding a little more independence so it will take some time before our home is perfectly peaceful.  I have heard of many siblings fighting for years, I pray that there will not be that kind of separation in our home.  A happy, loving, peaceful home with Jesus at our focus is what I am striving for.

No comments:

Post a Comment