Thursday, June 7, 2012

T-Shirt Yarn


Okay, so in my adventures of braiding t-shirts to make coasters, I found and realized that I could make yarn out of t-shirts and hen crochet it into just about anything.  I found a few links through google search to show me how to do it.  Thank you to whomever thought of this first and to those who posted HowTo's so I could post an I did.  

Here goes...
I started with a plain white tee that my hubby wasn't wearing anymore; you don't get to see a picture of it because I was going to do it without even sharing.  Can you believe that?!  How could I do something as spectacular as making yarn and not share, haha.

Here is the part of the shirt I didn't use, that can't be used
 The bottom trim of the shirt can't be used either so cut that off too.
I left out a few visual steps so bare with me.  The shirt is folded almost in half with about an inch difference.  That probably doesn't make sense, so just check somewhere else if you don't understand and want to do this. 


Once folded, you start cutting strips, mine were roughly 3/4 in.

Cut all the way through the fold, but don't cut through the one inch left after folding.






















Here is what is looks like when finished.  You can see the 1 inch better now.
 *Note* Buy fabric scissors.  Man I wish I had them today.



Next Step involves unfolding the 1 inch left uncut.  Then cut diagonal from first strip to second just like my scissors show.  Continue doing that all the way across.  The 1st strip and then last strip will be ct diagonal to open the fabric so it is one long strip.


For REal!!!  It is actually "ACTUALLY" make yarn!  Just stretch it and the sides curl in.  TA-DA!






No comments:

Post a Comment