Saturday, August 11, 2012

Romans 14


I've read Romans 14 once, twice, three times...and for at least 2 weeks I have been reading and re-reading it nearly everyday.  It is a meaty portion of scripture God is using to refine my character and bring more understanding.  
  Obviously,
  16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
but this is the one on my edification platter at the moment.  This post marks the realization of some things I have learned thus far through this scripture...

  

I just so happened to read Romans 14 after a debate Jacob and I had about attending church on Sundays. We have yet to find a church we all love, so our attendance has been inconsistent.  The content of our disagreement is irrelevant but it sparked some interesting points.  Charles Stanley has a great piece on why we should attend church.  But where in the bible does it say we must attend church on Sundays??  It says keep the Sabbath Day holy, but from what I have researched the Sabbath was originally on Saturday.  It was changed to Sunday because of a pagan ruler. (in fact, all the holidays we celebrate are pagan too, but that's a whole other post) We have read and understood that we are not to be legalistic, placing laws on our relationship with Christ.  That would make us like a Pharisee, correct?  We are to be SAVED BY GRACE not by the law.  We are definitely not to confine our creator to a building on Sundays

5 One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it.


 So then, going to church on Sundays could become a law.  If that law was not followed then another may judge.  Even though going to church is done to fill us and help us grow as Christians, if our hearts are not in the right place it becomes simply a deed.  My point being that we are to be in communion with Christ everyday not just Sunday and the mere act of attending Sunday Service doesn't make us a better Christian.  However, as a person who loves the Lord I want to fellowship with other believers.  We are the body of Christ.  Doesn't that mean we should get to know the other parts.  What good can I accomplish on my own...as a whole the body is stronger, able to lift up, and fight the darkness that is in this world.  Life as a Christian is a battle and we need a support system.  Coming together to worship and learn about the Lord is beautiful and can be done anywhere on anyday.
"For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them"   Matthew 18:20  
 Through reading Romans 14, I am seeing how judgmental I can be.  I am extremely critical of the things I do which also means I am critical of what my husband and children are doing as well.  EEK!  Who wants to admit that and who wants to live with someone that doesn't accept them the way they are.  I get upset with my husband when I feel he's being critical, but I can do it?!  What a hypocrite.  It's ugly, I know, but admitting it is the first step to change.
   
  Romans 14:4(NKJV) states
 "Who are you to judge another's servant?  To his own master he stands or falls.  Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand." 

and

Romans 14:13(NKJV) states 
"Therefore let us not judge one another anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or cause to fall in our brother's way.

 We are to pursue the things which make for peace and the things by which one may edify[instruct,teach,uplift] another(Romans14:19)

I had to highlight verse 22 and 23

22 Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. 23 But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because he does not eat from faith; for whatever is not from faith is sin.
It's all about faith and living in the spirit not in the flesh.  
 
  If you haven't read Romans 14 in awhile check it out. It really is awesome!  Especially, when you allow it to marinate and really sink in.

Thank you Lord for revealing my blemishes. Help me to be less critical of myself and my family.  Allow me to accept myself the way that You created me so that I may also be able to accept others.  Break down my pride and make me more humble, soft, and pliable so that you may continue to sharpen and mold me into the servant you desire me to be.  Please continue to instruct me so that I may be thoroughly furnished unto all good works.  I love you with all my heart...please increase so there is less of me and more of you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment